Veterinary Laser Surgery & Laser Therapy: Advanced Care for Ill or Injured Pets
The veterinarians at Summertree are pleased to offer laser surgery and therapy for our patients. This advanced technology has many benefits and provides a more positive recovery experience to our patients.
Veterinary CO2 Laser Surgery
The CO2 laser provides a fundamentally different approach to surgery. In laser surgery, a highly focused laser beam can efficiently incise through tissue, while sealing capillaries, small blood vessels, lymphatics, and nerve endings. This offers significant benefits to both patients and surgeons.
Laser surgery benefits for surgeons
- Unique surgical capabilities—Makes surgical procedures simpler and reduces risk, allowing us to perform surgeries that may not be practical with conventional methods.
- Enhanced visibility of the surgical field—Seals capillaries and small blood vessels as it cuts, reducing bleeding for a much clearer and drier surgical site.
- Increased precision and control—For rapid removal of large tissue amounts or adjusted to remove only one cell layer at a time.
- Reduction of surgery time—Less bleeding and improved visibility at the surgical site often reduces the duration of surgery.
Laser surgery benefits for patients
- Less bleeding—As it cuts, the laser seals small blood vessels to radically reduce bleeding.
- Less pain—The CO2 laser beam seals nerve endings and lymphatics, resulting in less swelling and pain, for a far more comfortable post-operative recovery.
- Reduced risk of infection—One of the unique features of the CO2 laser is it kills bacteria in its path to produce a sterilizing effect.
- Quicker recovery time—Reduced risk of infection, less bleeding, less pain, and less swelling allow the patient a far quicker recovery.
Cold Laser Therapy for Pets
Cold laser therapy (CLT) reduces inflammation to minimize pain in injured or recovering pets. This treatment modality is effective in treating acute pain, chronic conditions, and post-operative pain.
CLT utilizes the body’s own healing powers by stimulating cellular activity, the only course of treatment that actually stimulates the body to heal from within. This treatment uses non-thermal photons of light administered to the body and absorbed by the injured cells. The stimulated cells then respond with a higher rate of metabolism for increased circulation, an anti-inflammatory reaction providing relief from pain and an acceleration of the healing process.
This treatment is safe, painless, and fast, and even chronic patients exhibit improvement after only a few treatment sessions. Cold laser therapy initiates a healing process that continues to reduce inflammation for up to 24 hours after treatment.
Cold laser therapy provides a pain-free, surgery-free, drug-free treatment, which is used for a variety of injuries, wounds, fractures, neurological conditions, numerous dermatological problems, and pain. Whether rehabilitating from trauma or injury, healing from wounds, or simply aging, your pet can experience many benefits from CLT treatment.
Learn more about Laser Therapy and Your Pet